Welcome to Simmons Gallery; we sell and buy coins, medals, tokens, weights and scales, direct and by auction. We’ve been in this business since 1982. More than 40 years later we are still passionate about numismatics. We are no longer inviting consignments for future auctions as we try to take things a little easier in the future as we attempt to retire.. However, we are posting fixed price items for you to buy on this website and the occasional auction.
AUCTION Our auction MB108 has just closed. It was a single collection of 17th century tokens – farthings and halfpennies with the occasional penny token. They are from Kent mainly but with other counties added.
These are humble pieces but any collector of 17th century tokens understands that high grade can be elusive or just far too expensive for the pocket. There are many pictorial tokens relating to trades and pub signs. Some are rebus for you to puzzle out. Many are the arms of the livery companies, predominantly the Grocers. The prices started very modestly but rose to their market value. and are in the main lower than in a single lot in a numismatic auction would command.
See our Terms & Conditions for a guide to buying from our auctions and to return to this homepage at any time click on our Simmons logo above.
- International Numismatic Congress Warsaw 2022Held from 10th to 16th September, the INC was held in the University of Warsaw, Poland. This numismatic congress, started in the 1920’s, is held every 6 years. Because of the pandemic it’s been 7 years since we met in Sicily, in Taormina but we’ll meet again in 5 years… Read More »International Numismatic Congress Warsaw 2022
- The archive: past auctions of tokens and medalsIt’s always useful to be able to find past catalogues and prices realised so here’s a round up of what we’ve done as Simmons Gallery since September 2020, with links to text catalogues and prices realised. We’ll try in the future to post prices realised here in the blog in… Read More »The archive: past auctions of tokens and medals
- MB98 Medals Auction snippets: a golden Diamond, a silver sorrow and some bronze bloomers.There are only 230 lots this time in Simmons Gallery’s next online auction sale on 26 May. It begins with some thirty early medals issued by the British Art Medal Society. A very rare piece is a gilded example of the bronze medal Diamond by celebrated sculptor, Lynn Chadwick. Made in… Read More »MB98 Medals Auction snippets: a golden Diamond, a silver sorrow and some bronze bloomers.
- The Ronnie Breingan collection of Transport Tokens and TicketsFrom canals to ferries, horse drawn omnibus to park and ride, Ronnie Breingan’s collection charts the metallic history of transport. It’s only just over 100 pieces but what variety! The tickets and tokens are mainly Scottish but include a smattering of English and other ones too. The earliest tickets in… Read More »The Ronnie Breingan collection of Transport Tokens and Tickets
- Announcing a birth, 18th century style – an updateQueen Anne 1709 shilling engraved Sarah Cowdrey Jany. Ye 10 1766, obverse engraved LS, price £75 (CA137) Update: Further information from David Powell on this coin for you. We now know for certain that Sarah was born on 10 January 1766, daughter of William and Mary Cowdrey and baptised in… Read More »Announcing a birth, 18th century style – an update
- MB94 token auction Emyr George Welsh collectionThe sale closed on 30 September, with over 550 lots – download the text catalogue here. It was our first auction on this new website. Although there were a few admin hiccups (see below), all went well. Prices realised updated to 28 October can be downloaded here. Any unsolds (and… Read More »MB94 token auction Emyr George Welsh collection
Any questions? Just get in touch with us. We welcome feedback about our website but remember we’re still here, live off line, to help you and your collecting.