Welcome! We are Howard and Frances Simmons and we sell and buy coins, medals, tokens, weights and scales, direct and by auction. We’ve been in this business since 1982 and are still passionate about numismatics.
Register in My Account to make a bid or buy now. Use the keyword and category search facility. Enter a bid number to find a particular lot; create a watch list or browse the site using either Grid or Table views. Use the back arrow on your browser to return to a page. Links appear in a different colour when you move your mouse over them. It may take a little time to get used to our new site but we hope that overall it will be easier for you. See our Terms & Conditions for a guide to buying from our auctions and to return to this homepage at any time click on our Simmons logo above.
Our centenary auction MB100 closing Wednesday 6 October is now online and open for bidding. MB100 is devoted to tokens tickets and passes, mainly from England and Wales but with a few outliers. Text only catalogue for download click here.
- An important collection of 17th century tokens of London, the City of London and Southwark
- Welsh, English & Scottish Tokens from the Emyr George collection the final part: colliery and mining, pubs and clubs
Our next auction MB101 will feature medals, including some early school medals, 19th and 20th century art medals and royal commemoratives.
We’re not just about auctions. When you look in the BUY section here you will find all sorts of numismatic items at fixed prices to buy now. Browse or search by category or key words. And of course we’re always looking to buy or to receive future consignments. We’ll put up more pieces to buy now online gradually so bookmark the site please.
- The archive: past auctions of tokens and medalsIt’s always useful to be able to find past catalogues and prices realised so here’s a round up of what we’ve done as Simmons Gallery since September 2020, with links to text catalogues and prices realised. We’ll try in the future to post prices realised here in the blog in… Read More »The archive: past auctions of tokens and medals
- The Ronnie Breingan collection of Transport Tokens and TicketsFrom canals to ferries, horse drawn omnibus to park and ride, Ronnie Breingan’s collection charts the metallic history of transport. It’s only just over 100 pieces but what variety! The tickets and tokens are mainly Scottish but include a smattering of English and other ones too. The earliest tickets in… Read More »The Ronnie Breingan collection of Transport Tokens and Tickets
- Books, directories and catalogues for Wales token researchOur library is an essential working tool; we’d be lost without it. Along with all the tokens from Emyr George, a van load of books and well used directories landed in our hallway before Christmas, for sale and passing on to other collectors. You will find a number of reference… Read More »Books, directories and catalogues for Wales token research
- Announcing a birth, 18th century style – an updateQueen Anne 1709 shilling engraved Sarah Cowdrey Jany. Ye 10 1766, obverse engraved LS, price £75 (CA137) Update: Further information from David Powell on this coin for you. We now know for certain that Sarah was born on 10 January 1766, daughter of William and Mary Cowdrey and baptised in… Read More »Announcing a birth, 18th century style – an update
- MB94 token auction Emyr George Welsh collectionThe sale closed on 30 September, with over 550 lots – download the text catalogue here. It was our first auction on this new website. Although there were a few admin hiccups (see below), all went well. Prices realised updated to 28 October can be downloaded here. Any unsolds (and… Read More »MB94 token auction Emyr George Welsh collection
- What’s in store for you sales and future eventsWe’ve been busy in lockdown ( auctions and lots of cataloguing) but even so we’ve missed seeing you all at the usual coin fairs and congresses. So here’s an update of what is happening in the near future, and what you might have missed. With a second national lockdown there… Read More »What’s in store for you sales and future events
Any questions? Just get in touch with us. We welcome feedback about our new website but remember we’re still here, live off line, to help you and your collecting.