Welcome! We are Howard and Frances Simmons and we sell and buy coins, medals, tokens, weights and scales, direct and by auction. We’ve been in this business since 1982 and are still passionate about numismatics.
Register in My Account to make a bid or buy now. Use the keyword and category search facility. Enter a bid number to find a particular lot; create a watch list or browse the site using either Grid or Table views. Use the back arrow on your browser to return to a page. Links appear in a different colour when you move your mouse over them. It may take a little time to get used to our new site but we hope that overall it will be easier for you. See our Terms & Conditions for a guide to buying from our auctions and to return to this homepage at any time click on our Simmons logo above.
- Early issues from BAMS dating from 1982 including Chadwick’s Diamond and Ian Hamilton Finlay’s Terror/Virtue
- British historical & commemorative medals including Carnegie Hero Medal
- Cast bronze portrait medals 19th century
- European and other medals, Monnaie de Paris
- Animalier medals from Heidi Dobberkau and Julian Cross
Medals auction catalogue for download here
We’re not just about auctions. When you look in the BUY section here you will find all sorts of numismatic items at fixed prices to buy now. Browse or search by category or key words. And of course we’re always looking to buy or to receive future consignments. We’ll put up more pieces to buy now online gradually so bookmark the site please.
Our next auction for tokens won’t be until July. Then we’ll take a break before getting back to business in September. Consignments are welcome for inclusion in the autumn sales but message us first before sending.
Meanwhile we’ve lots of different sorts of medals plus coins, tokens and weights in the ‘buy’ fixed price section with more being added.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. For monthly e-newsletter to keep up to date subscribe here.
- MB98 Medals Auction snippets: a golden Diamond, a silver sorrow and some bronze bloomers.There are only 230 lots this time in Simmons Gallery’s next online auction sale on 26 May. It begins with some thirty early medals issued by the British Art Medal Society. A very rare piece is a gilded example of the bronze medal Diamond by celebrated sculptor, Lynn Chadwick. Made in… Read More »MB98 Medals Auction snippets: a golden Diamond, a silver sorrow and some bronze bloomers.
- The Ronnie Breingan collection of Transport Tokens and TicketsFrom canals to ferries, horse drawn omnibus to park and ride, Ronnie Breingan’s collection charts the metallic history of transport. It’s only just over 100 pieces but what variety! The tickets and tokens are mainly Scottish but include a smattering of English and other ones too. The earliest tickets in… Read More »The Ronnie Breingan collection of Transport Tokens and Tickets
- Books, directories and catalogues for Wales token researchOur library is an essential working tool; we’d be lost without it. Along with all the tokens from Emyr George, a van load of books and well used directories landed in our hallway before Christmas, for sale and passing on to other collectors. You will find a number of reference… Read More »Books, directories and catalogues for Wales token research
- Announcing a birth, 18th century style – an updateQueen Anne 1709 shilling engraved Sarah Cowdrey Jany. Ye 10 1766, obverse engraved LS, price £75 (CA137) Update: Further information from David Powell on this coin for you. We now know for certain that Sarah was born on 10 January 1766, daughter of William and Mary Cowdrey and baptised in… Read More »Announcing a birth, 18th century style – an update
- MB94 token auction Emyr George Welsh collectionThe sale closed on 30 September, with over 550 lots – download the text catalogue here. It was our first auction on this new website. Although there were a few admin hiccups (see below), all went well. Prices realised updated to 28 October can be downloaded here. Any unsolds (and… Read More »MB94 token auction Emyr George Welsh collection
- What’s in store for you sales and future eventsWe’ve been busy in lockdown ( auctions and lots of cataloguing) but even so we’ve missed seeing you all at the usual coin fairs and congresses. So here’s an update of what is happening in the near future, and what you might have missed. With a second national lockdown there… Read More »What’s in store for you sales and future events
Any questions? Just get in touch with us. We welcome feedback about our new website but remember we’re still here, live off line, to help you and your collecting.